Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 February 2017

Led by the spirit... glorified with Christ

"I ask for the desire to pray and meditate regularly.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, gentleness and empathy.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, discouragement, shame, and compulsive behaviour.  I ask to hear the need of my community of faith, and the world, and to hear where the need of the world and the joy of my heart connect.  I ask to know Jesus more intimately, love him more deeply, and follow him more closely.  I ask to experience myself and others as Christ experiences us, as made in the image and likeness of God."


Romans 8:14-17


14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’ 16it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ—if, in fact, we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.


1) "Led by the spirit;" "...children of God;" "...a spirit of adoption;" "bearing witness with our spirit;" "...children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ;" "that we may also be glorified with him;" "...you HAVE received a spirit of adoption:" "cry Abba!"
2) the very prayer itself is witness of the spirit of adoption; we have no reason to fear; yes, the way is hard and will take us through suffering; there is death, dissolution, grief along the way, but it leads to glory.  I cringe at the cry "father", but this refers to any prayer, any reaching out to the cosmos, beyond or deep within ourselves for support, guidance, provision, discernment... every reaching out is an affirmation our inalienable connection to WHAT IS.  "Joint heirs with Christ" we can expect the same support, provision, and affirmation that Christ received - joint heirs.
3) What is the invitation in all this?  To be less fearful and anxious.  To speak out humbly, but confidently.  To not be so afraid of being wrong.  To being less afraid of making a mistake or offending because to speak once isn't the end, I can change my mind and be corrected.  I can learn and grow... a child of God, full of potential for growth and change and becoming.  It is possible to engage respectfully if I remember the "all who are led... are children of God."  even when we disagree, even when they are wrong, even when I am wrong.  So be less afraid.


"Holy One, let me be less afraid of speaking out when I perceive injustice, in particular systemic racism and misogyny.  Help me dismantle my own white male privilege even though it shames and scares me when it asserts itself.  Make a new and right heart in me, O God."


Breathprayer: "Led by the spirit... glorified with Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment