Search This Blog

Thursday 26 October 2017

"Foolish Nation... Contrary People."

May I pray and meditate faithfully.


Romans 10:18-21
18 But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have; for
‘Their voice has gone out to all the earth,
   and their words to the ends of the world.’
19Again I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says,
‘I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation;
   with a foolish nation I will make you angry.’
20Then Isaiah is so bold as to say,
‘I have been found by those who did not seek me;
   I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.’
21But of Israel he says, ‘All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people.’


1) "...disobedient and contrary people;"


2) This is a call to humility.  If we should ever get ahead of ourselves and think we "know" God, or "God's will."  Or that we somehow have found special favour that places us above or ahead of others.  We are the "disobedient and contrary people;"  We are "jealous" and "angry." Do we not hear?  Do we not understand?  God is found by those who do not seek God; God reveals God's self to those who do not ask for God.  But, at least, all day long, God holds out hands to us.  There is plenty of opportunity to hear and understand.  I can certainly identify with being angry with a foolish nation... Is there hope that this foolish nation will find what it isn't even looking for?  That would be such a good thing.  Do I hold my hands out to disobedient and contrary people?  Can I?  God's "chosen race" is a foolish nation, a disobedient and contrary people.  There's room for everything...


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To hear and understand, even the foolish can find what they aren't seeking; to hear and understand: God holds out hands to even the disobedient and contrary people.


"Holy One, hold out your hand and gather me in, even when I am not seeking you, not asking for you."


Breathprayer: "Foolish nation... contrary people."



No comments:

Post a Comment