Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 November 2017

"Do What Is Good..."

I ask for the grace to remain present and mindful, to be productive and inspired.


Romans 13:1-4
13Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgement. 3For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Do you wish to have no fear of the authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive its approval; 4for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid, for the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of God to execute wrath on the wrongdoer.


1)


2) Wow... where did this come from?  Given the previous texts I'm feeling a little smacked out of left field.  Which Authorities is he talking about?  The Roman Authorities?  The Church Authorities?  "Governing Authorities"  "for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God."  This sounds like a recipe for disaster, frankly.  I understand "due order."  "I recognize the discipline of the presbytery."  In our world, people have been given authority that certainly doesn't come from God.  Paul has just given us a list of "Marks of a True Christian" perhaps I would be most willing to honour the authority of someone who manifest these marks?  With congregations, I often talk about three kinds of Authority: Military (do what I tell you or else), Negative (I tell you what to do and you do the opposite), and Relational (I wouldn't think of making a major decision without talking it over with my loved ones first, they don't tell me what to do, but they contribute to my decision making).  I try to emphasize a notion of relational authority with scripture, I sit with it every day and it forms me, but it doesn't tell me what to do.  When I apply that kind of authority to this text, it is a little easier to digest...


3) What is the invitation in all this?  to continue to build relationships, to trust the authority of relationship in making decisions.


"Holy One, Help us forge relationships that can be authoritative when discerning you will."


Breathprayer: "Do what is good..."



No comments:

Post a Comment