Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 December 2017

"Steadfastness... Encouragement."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, and empathy.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask for the grace to make room for Christ and transformation this Advent Season.  May my thoughts, words, and actions proclaim justice, kindness, and humility.


Romans 15:1-6
15We who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2Each of us must please our neighbour for the good purpose of building up the neighbour. 3For Christ did not please himself; but, as it is written, ‘The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.’ 4For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, so that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope. 5May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in harmony with one another, in accordance with Christ Jesus, 6so that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.


1) "...we who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak;" "...please our neighbour for the good of building up the neighbour;" "...Christ did not please himself;" "...have hope;" "...live in harmony with one another;" "...one voice;" "...glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ;"


2) Lord, give me strength...  Who?  Me?  I do not feel like one of those "who are strong."  I hear the call, but I am constantly reminded of my own weaknesses.  I guess the question is, who is constantly reminding me?  I can get distracted by my own weakness... that's a part of being self-aware.  But still.  The call is to put up with the failings of the weak... even my own?  I suspect, we need to put up with the failings of the weak, whether we consider ourselves strong or not.  What would it be like to consider myself among those "who are strong?"  Maybe I need to spend more time with "the God of steadfastness and encouragement"?  We could do with some hope and harmony.  It would be nice to with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To spend more time with the God of steadfastness and encouragement and less with the failings of the weak.  To receive the strength to put up with the failings of the weak... even our own.


"God of steadfastness and encouragement, send us hope."


Breathprayer: "Steadfastness... encouragement."



No comments:

Post a Comment