Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 March 2018

"Sow the Spirit... Reap Eternal Life."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully. I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, and empathy.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance. I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.


Galatians 6:7-10
7 Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow. 8If you sow to your own flesh, you will reap corruption from the flesh; but if you sow to the Spirit, you will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest time, if we do not give up. 10So then, whenever we have an opportunity, let us work for the good of all, and especially for those of the family of faith.


1) "...God is not mocked;" "...you reap whatever you sow;" "...sow the Spirit;" "...reap eternal life;" "...let us not grow wearing in doing what is right;" "...we will reap at harvest time;" "...let us work for the good of all;"


2) It is easy to be deceived. Especially when tired, overwhelmed, anxious, and angry. But as Richard Rohr says, the true self is never offended... God is not mocked. It can be hard to believe that we reap what we sow. Bad things happen to good people and bad people seem to get all the power and authority. How do we stop giving authority to bad people? I know that there are not "bad people" but it sometimes seems far too much to separate actions from personhood. Some people seem bent on making life as miserable as possible for the rest of the world. I know that I am humbly grateful for the crazy madness that makes up the package of ills in my own life. Because with that package of ills comes so much blessing, and I am profoundly grateful for the blessings, they far outweigh the ills. The trap is letting myself be deceived into backsliding into negative behaviour because sowing what is right seems to bear no fruit. God is not mocked. Even if I never see the fruit, I'm still called to sow what is right. God is not mocked. Eternal life is the life of profound connection to people, to the world, to companions, to the Holy and the Sacred. I reap abundantly of the fount of eternal life. Thanks be to God! Today I had breakfast with a dear friend; I dreamed up plans for creative expression in my home; I started making some of those plans come to fruition because I have the resources to do so; I enjoyed the (rare) sunshine on the drive to work; I get to connect deeply with people I care about throughout my workweek... the list of fruit of eternal life I reap at the harvest goes on and on.  Thanks be to God!


3) What is the invitation in all this? To sow what is right. And to be grateful that I have the privilege of sowing what is right. And to enjoy and give thanks for the eternal life I do reap.


"Thank you, Holy One, for all the ways I am privileged to reap of the fount of eternal life.  May I sow, so as to continue to reap, and that others may also reap."


Breathprayer: " Sow the spirit... reap eternal life."



No comments:

Post a Comment