Search This Blog

Monday 10 April 2017

"Christ... Will Be Exalted."

"As Holy Week continues, I ask for the grace to pray and meditate on behalf of my congregation and wider community of faith.  May we follow Christ courageously and without flinching and seeking an easier way.  May follow his example of patience, tolerance, kindness, justice,  humility, empathy, compassion and gentleness. At the same time, may we abstain from deceit, anger, violence, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, shame, self-centeredness, greed, arrogance and ignorance.  May we follow where Christ leads us."


Philippians 1:18-26
18What does it matter? Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way, whether out of false motives or true; and in that I rejoice.
Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will result in my deliverance. 20It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. 22If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. 23I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; 24but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. 25Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, 26so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.


1) "...I rejoice;" "...I will continue to rejoice;" "...my deliverance;" "...my eager expectation and hope;" "...Christ will be exalted;" "...whether by life or death;" "...living is Christ and dying is gain;" "...fruitful labour for me;:" "...for your progress and joy in faith;" "...share abundantly;"


2) Paul is contemplating his own possible death and has come to the conclusion that either by death or in life, Christ will be exalted and that is all that matters now.  To be with Christ is better, but to remain in the flesh is more necessary so he can continue his ministry with the early Christian communities.  Do we spend our lives in such a way that our deaths might exalt Christ?  I do not hear this as a call to martyrdom, but a call to live like we really believe Christ/God reigns right here, right now.  I can testify to moments when I have truly not been afraid of death.  They are usually quite brief.  But moments when I am entirely satisfied, reconciled, content.  Moments, when I'm happy with who I am, who I've been and what I've done with what I've been given.  Moments when I'm confident that the world will be fine with out me, and I will be fine.  They don't usually last very long, but they have been frequent enough and they've left a lasting impression.  And I live in confidence that I will know moments like that again... perhaps, hopefully, at my own death.  I'm not so confident that my life always exalts Christ.  In fact, I'm sure that there are days when my choices (as have the choices of my church) shame me and Christ. 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To contemplate more on what it means to live a life that exalts Christ and then live it.


"Holy One, lead on."


Breathprayer: "Christ... will be exalted."



No comments:

Post a Comment