Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 April 2017

"Out of the Believer's Heart... Rivers of Living Water."

I've been watching the crows build a nest at the top of the pines beyond the side lane.  I hear construction happening on the balcony in the next condo across the back lane.  And birds are singing. A humming bird came to check out my new feeder.  My cat is now curled up on the ottoman beside my knitting.  I've lit a candle and take a few deep breaths to slow and focus my attention, making room to encounter the sacred.


"I ask for the desire to pray and meditate on behalf of my congregation.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, arrogance and self-absorption.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness and walking humbly." 


John 7:37-39
37 On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, 38and let the one who believes in me drink. As the scripture has said, “Out of the believer’s heart shall flow rivers of living water.” 39Now he said this about the Spirit, which believers in him were to receive; for as yet there was no Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified.


1)  "...the great day;" "...come to me;" "...drink;" "...Out of the believer's heart shall flow rivers of living water;" "...rivers of living water;" "...believers;" "...believers in him;" "...not yet glorified;" "...let anyone who is thirsty come to me," "...anyone who is thirsty;"


2) Am I thirsty?  I love John's Jesus.  John's Jesus is always teaching us to listen metaphorically.  Thirst and hunger are associated with longing for intimacy with God: justice, love, acceptance, comfort, wholeness, satisfaction, reconciliation, forgiveness, an end to all suffering - all the things that make up God's reign.  What does it mean to "believe" in Jesus for John?  I think it is utter non-sense that John's Jesus expects us to believe propositions about God or Jesus, especially since the propositions that will eventually become orthodoxy won't be fully formulated for another three hundred years.  I believe that for John "believing in Jesus" means trusting God, trusting in the teachings and the way that Jesus is leading, trusting in the way of vulnerability, humility, non-violence, unconditional compassion and empathy, risk taking, courage, acceptance of God's way, challenge to human ways.  On those rare occasions when we genuinely trust the way of Jesus enough to follow, our hearts become fountains of "living water."  I was challenged by a parishioner the other day that I shouldn't pray for patience.  Because if I pray for patience, God will send things to test my patience.  There is a certain logic to this challenge.  But, if I want rivers of living water to flow out of my heart, then I need to increase my patience, so I ask for patience.  I need to trust that I will be given what I need to meet whatever tests, challenges and trial will come.


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To trust what God has placed before me.  To keep asking for what we need.  To take advantage of the opportunities to exercise patience.


"God, give me patience."


Breathprayer: "Out of the believer's heart... rivers of living water."

No comments:

Post a Comment