Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 June 2017

"Christ... Is Our Peace."

"I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion, and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, arrogance, compulsive behaviour, cynicism, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Ephesians 2:14-16
14For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. 15He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, so that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, 16and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus putting to death that hostility through it.


1) "...he is our peace;" "...broken down... the hostility between us;" "...one new humanity;" "...reconcile both groups to God in one body;" "...putting to death that hostility;" "


2) Do I really want an end to that hostility?  hmm... there is a divide within myself over whether or not I want that hostility to really end.  One part says, "Yes, I have no more energy for that hostility, I want it over, I want to move on, and it is what God calls me to." And the other part says, "But I'm right and he's a jerk! Again and again, he's a jerk.  And he just won't stop.  I'm right!  I'm right!  I'm right!"  The first part says, "I don't care if I'm right or he's right, or if we are both right or neither of us are right.  I'm too tired for the hostility to go on.  It is time for peace."  The second part says, "But what about when he's a jerk again!"  A third part (most like likely something like "self-in-presence") observes that I am big enough to hold the difference of opinion between these two parts.  There is lots of space in me... I'm made in the image and likeness of God (so is he).  There's room for hostility; there's room for peace.  Knowing/trusting that feels more peaceful.  He's going to keep doing what he's doing.  I can only choose not to react.


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To do nothing.  To breath into the open spaces.  To let Christ stand between us.  To choose peace.


"Holy One."


Breathprayer: "Christ... is our peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment