Search This Blog

Friday 9 June 2017

"Wisdom... and Revelation"


"I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, empathy, and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, arrogance, compulsive behaviour, cynicism, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Ephesians 1:15-19
15 I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love towards all the saints, and for this reason 16I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers. 17I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, 18so that, with the eyes of your heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, 19and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of his great power.

1) "...I do not cease to give thanks;" "...I remember you in my prayers;" "...a spirit of wisdom and revelation;" "...the eyes of your heart enlightened;" "immeasurable greatness;" "...his great power;" "...so that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you;" "what are the riches of his glorious inheritance;" "...the hope...the riches of his glorious inheritance...immeasurable greatness of his power;"

2) A spirit of wisdom and revelation would be nice.  I have had moments I consider to have been glimpses of "the hope to which he has called," "the riches of his glorious inheritance," and "the immeasurable greatness of his power."  Moments when I was completely satisfied and comforted.  They've never lasted long in real time, but they had a hold on me.  They come at the most unexpected times, sometimes when I'm on retreat, but sometimes when I'm riding the bus, or walking along the river.  Once when I was laughing with friends.  Moments to hold on to and remember.  Moments that could get me through a lot of worse moments.  Moments that are easy to lose track of and forget when I need to remember them most!  "Immeasurable greatness."

3) What is the invitation in all this?  to remember, especially in the darker moments, that there have been moments of "wisdom and revelation," and to be nourished by them.

"Holy One, thank you."

Breathprayer: "Wisdom... and revelation."

No comments:

Post a Comment