Search This Blog

Monday 15 January 2018

"Revelation... Truth of the Gospel."


As I return to work and my blog after a much appreciated rest, I ask for grace.  I ask to receive whatever I need so as not to be completely overwhelmed by the race of catching up, or the press to be prepared for Lent.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, and empathy for myself and others.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Christ more intimately, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.

Galatians 2:1-5
2
Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. 2I went up in response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in vain. 3But even Titus, who was with me, was not compelled to be circumcised, though he was a Greek. 4But because of false believers secretly brought in, who slipped in to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might enslave us— 5we did not submit to them even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might always remain with you.

1) "...fourteen years;" "...revelation;" "..the truth of the gospel;"

2) Wow.  I don't spend too much time choosing the length of the text, and I expect I could easily do a full session on each of verse 1, verse 2, and verse 5.  "Fourteen years," I don't usually give much thought to the length of Paul's mission, the length of time between his letters, the length of time before the first letter we have.  Here Paul claims to have spent 14 years in ministry between his first visit to Jerusalem and his second after his first revelation.  So his second visit happened in his 17th year of ministry to the Gentiles.  All we have are a handful of letters.  I hate to think that someone might pick up a handful of my sermons (and I no longer write sermons, I only write notes) and try to "reconstruct" my entire theology!  Some of those sermon aren't very good.  So... what do we really know about Paul?  He gives us no content as to this second "revelation."  Were I preaching this text, I'd want to know what I could about that revelation.  Clearly, Paul derives some authority from it (it is from the revelation that Paul derives his authority, not the apostles).  Finally, how do we hold to the "truth of the Gospel."  We put a great deal of trust in that handful of letter the church preserved.  From them, we can draw some observations about the "truth" of Paul's Gospel: it was radically inclusive; individual practices were not as important as what is in our hearts; above all else, members of the community are called to love one another; and we are called to love others, even at our own sacrifice.

3) What is the invitation in all this?  Perhaps to develop some context around the expanse of Paul's ministry, maybe resist the temptation to assume "I know" what he thought, believed, or did.

"Holy One, be with us as we journey, seeking to follow your way, our whole lives."

Breathprayer: "Revelation... truth of the Gospel."


No comments:

Post a Comment