Search This Blog

Friday 9 February 2018

"Angel of God... Telling You the Truth."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully. I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, and empathy.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.


Galatians 4:12-16
12 Friends, I beg you, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You have done me no wrong. 13You know that it was because of a physical infirmity that I first announced the gospel to you; 14though my condition put you to the test, you did not scorn or despise me, but welcomed me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. 15What has become of the goodwill you felt? For I testify that, had it been possible, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?


1) "You have done me no wrong;" "...put you to the test;" "...you did not scorn or despise me;" "...welcomed me as an angel of God;" "...as Christ Jesus;" "...the goodwill you felt;" "...telling you the truth;" "...


2) This seems such high praise.  I have to wonder if it might not have been good to have remembered the affection they'd shared at the beginning of the letter instead of at the end? It's quite beautiful for Paul to testify to the affection he once felt..."had it been possible, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me;" "welcomed me as an angel of God."  This is high praise and deep affection that sharpens the pain in the following line, "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"  But let this perhaps be a lesson... affection first, truth telling next. It is, of course, easier to share truth among those who share affection, less fear of risking the relationship if we can trust the capacity to receive hard truth. But we are really afraid to tell one another truth if it contradicts what we think the other thinks. How blessed I feel in the friends who feel they can tell me the truth. It is hard to talk about truth in general these days, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, interpretation, perspective, context. 


3) What is the invitation in all this? to cherish truth when we hear it. To cherish those who speak truth to us, regardless of the risks. To have the courage to speak truth whatever the risk.  To have the courage and honesty to witness the truth when it contradicts what I think and believe.


"Holy One, help us be bearers of the truth."


Breathprayer: "Angel of God... telling you the truth."



No comments:

Post a Comment