Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 February 2018

"Called to Freedom... Love One Another."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully. I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, and compassion. I ask to abstain from anxiety, anger, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance. I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.


Galatians 5:13-15
13 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another. 14For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ 15If, however, you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.


1) "...called to freedom;" "...opportunity for self-indulgence;" "...through love become slaves to one another;" "...You shall love your neighbour as yourself;" "...through love become slaves to one another;" "...called to freedom;" "...


2) "Freedom" cannot be "absolute." Freedom is found in mutual relationship, love. We are freed to love one another AS ourselves. Not "like," but "as." It isn't a metaphor... to love others the way we love ourselves, but to love others as an extension of ourselves. When my neighbour bleeds, I bleed. We are one body in Christ. When a member of the body is injured, the whole body is weakened and experiences the pain. How "free" can one be if one keeps slamming their foot with a hammer? Devouring another is to consume ourselves. This is certainly not how our world works. Watching 45 proclaim that the solution to mass shootings in the US is to produce, buy, sell more guns, is definitely part of the devour/consume paradigm, not the love your neighbour as yourself/become slaves to one another paradigm. I dislike the "slave" imagery, but I'm open to service, and serving one another. How are we called to serve one another? How are we called to exercise our freedom in service to one another? Do I experience my freedom when serving? yes.  That was a quick response.  I definitely experience freedom when I choose to serve, either by making a generous financial gift, or by giving my time and skills. I have a felt sense of freedom when I choose to serve. On the other hand, when someone tells me I should do "this" or "that" I do not feel the freedom of serving... then I'm enslaved. It is freedom only if I have the choice to freely server or not serve.


3) What is the invitation in all this? To explore how I freely serve.


"Holy One, Thank you for the opportunity to serve, and for the companions who serve with me."


Breathprayer: "Called to freedom... love one another."



No comments:

Post a Comment