Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 February 2018

"Know God... Be Known."

I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully. I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, and compassion. I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, complaining, discouragement, and self-interest.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly.


Galatians 4:8-11
8 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to beings that by nature are not gods. 9Now, however, that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits? How can you want to be enslaved to them again? 10You are observing special days, and months, and seasons, and years. 11I am afraid that my work for you may have been wasted.


1) "...come to know God;" "...rather to be known by God;" "...how can you turn back;" "...elemental spirits;" "...I am afraid that my work for you may have been wasted."


2) Well, I can identify with the fear that my work with them may have been wasted. I can identify with Paul's frustration with the gap between his intention for the community and the outcome of his ministry. We do not want to change our ways. We do not want to repent. We want the kingdom of God and to do things our own way. I can identify with frustration in general this week. I'm so tired of listening to other people complaining.  And I'm really tired of my own complaining about other people complaining! I can't comfort the inconsolable.  I can't be comforted if I'm inconsolable. Why do I go back to the things that just don't give comfort?!? Haven't I tried that before? I feel like I am constantly dancing on the contour of my own graciousness.


3) What is the invitation in all this? to accept being known by God and to let go of the observances that do not nourish.


"Holy One, create in my a heart that can be consoled."


Breathprayer: "Know God... be known."



No comments:

Post a Comment