Search This Blog

Friday 5 May 2017

"Called... according to his purpose."

"I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion, gentleness and to be more steadfast in love.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, self-importance and arrogance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Romans 8:28-30
28 We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. 29For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn within a large family. 30And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.


1)  "...work together for good;" "...called according to his purpose;" "...conformed to the image of his Son;" "...called... justified... glorified;"


2) Lots has been done with "predestined."  Doesn't scripture bear an argument that God "foreknew" all creation?  So is there an argument here for all creation to be "predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son?"  I'm not big on "predestination" myself.  The resurrected Christ is the firstborn of a large family.  I do like the succession of actions: called, justified, glorified.  "Called according to his purpose," how do we discern that for ourselves, for our communities?  Can we trust that "all things work together for good?"  Do I trust that "all things work together for good?"  No always... not even often!  It's an ideal I try to return to.  "And all shall be well" and all that.  But my perspective needs to be very large to truly trust that, like on the cosmic scale.  Can I learn to live into the cosmic scale of things?  Then what matters is if I'm doing what I can here and now, not necessarily to make all things good, but to make this piece better.  I am confident in my call, but I do not always feel so justified, and glorified least of all.  That is probably as it should be.  Can I trust those things even though I do not experience them for myself?


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To trust the call, to seek to serve, and give the rest over.


"Holy One, help me to trust that all things work together for good."


Breathprayer: "Called... according to his purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment