Search This Blog

Saturday 13 May 2017

"The Lord God... Called."

"I ask for the desire to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, empathy, and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, arrogance, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Genesis 3:9-14
9But the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, ‘Where are you?’ 10He said, ‘I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.’ 11He said, ‘Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?’ 12The man said, ‘The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit from the tree, and I ate.’ 13Then the Lord God said to the woman, ‘What is this that you have done?’ The woman said, ‘The serpent tricked me, and I ate.’ 14The Lord God said to the serpent,
‘Because you have done this,
   cursed are you among all animals
   and among all wild creatures;
upon your belly you shall go,
   and dust you shall eat
   all the days of your life.


1) "...called to the man;" "...I was naked;" "...I hid myself;" "...gave to be with me;" "...and I ate;" "...I was afraid;" "...afraid... naked... hid;" "...


2) It is a rich story.  First, I notice that the snake is given no opportunity to respond as the man and the woman were.  The snake is the only one who hasn't blamed someone else for his own action.  There is no mention of the snake eating from the tree.  But the snake gets the curse.  More often than not, in ancient literature, the snake is a symbol of wisdom and awakening.  And that's what happens here.  The man and woman become aware of their nakedness and that's what makes them fearful.  What makes us so fearful that we are compelled to hide even from God?  I wonder if we could imagine this story turning out very differently if the man and woman hadn't hidden, but had simply stood before God knowing their fear and shame?  God didn't just expel them from the garden, the man and woman chose to hide from God's presence once they became aware of their nakedness.  They failed to be aware that they'd always been naked in God's presence and God hadn't had a problem with that before.  What do I try to hide from God?


3) what is the invitation in all this?  Stop trying to hide what makes me fearful and shameful from God.  God already sees, knows, and loves it.  And only in God's presence can I be reconciled.


"Holy One, call to me, see my nakedness, correct my attempt to hide from you and bring me back into your presence."


Breathprayer: "The Lord God... called."

No comments:

Post a Comment