Search This Blog

Sunday 7 May 2017

"The Lord Is Faithful... Satisfying."

"I ask for the grace to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion, and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, self-importance, and arrogance.  I ask the know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Psalm 145:13b-16
The Lord is faithful in all his words,
   and gracious in all his deeds.
14 The Lord upholds all who are falling,
   and raises up all who are bowed down.
15 The eyes of all look to you,
   and you give them their food in due season.
16 You open your hand,
   satisfying the desire of every living thing.


1) "...faithful;" "...gracious;" "...upholds;" "...raises up;" "...give them their food;" "...open your hand;" "...satisfying the desire of every living thing;" "...every living thing;" "...all his words;" "...all his deeds;"


2)  This psalmist seems ignorant of some of the events in Israel's history that seem less than gracious.  Or this psalmist has a different way of explaining atrocity than the authors of some of the other parts of Israel's history.  I prefer the latter.  I like this psalmist's universalist approach.  God is gracious in all God's deeds, satisfying the desire of every living thing.  Too often we attribute to God what doesn't belong to God.  When and where is God satisfying this living thing?  How am I satisfied?  When?  By what?  This morning it is easy to feel satisfied with the sun shining and the world in bloom.  Would that I could feel the same satisfaction on days that are less ideal.  But it was a very satisfying morning sitting on the balcony.  If only I could trust that it is God's will to satisfy, even when the challenges are before me, before us. 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  to sit receptively in satisfaction, perhaps, even to be grateful for what does satisfy.


"Holy One, indeed, you are faithful and gracious, satisfying the desire of every living thing.  Teach me also to be faithful and gracious that I may satisfy you in my words and deeds."


Breathprayer: "The Lord is faithful... satisfying."

No comments:

Post a Comment