Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 May 2017

"Everyone Who Thirsts... Come to the Waters."

"I ask for the graced to pray and meditate faithfully.  I ask for patience, tolerance, gentleness, empathy, and compassion.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, arrogance, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and self-importance.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly."


Isaiah 55:1-2
55Ho, everyone who thirsts,
   come to the waters;
and you that have no money,
   come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
   without money and without price.
2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
   and your labour for that which does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,
   and delight yourselves in rich food.


1) "...come to the waters;" "...come, buy and eat!" "...without money;" "...without price;" "...that which does not satisfy?" "...eat what is good;" "delight yourselves in rich food;"


2)  Yes, is spend too much time indulging in things that do not satisfy.  Why do we do that?  Time spent grinding away on thoughts that just make me feel worse; energy wasted on worrying about things I have absolutely no control over; effort trying to change things that can't be changed, or wishing things were different than they are; in my case, literally eating food that is neither satisfying, nor good for me.  And yet, there is plenty bread, water, wine, and milk that is without price and abundantly satisfying.  It is so easy to buy into a little distraction.  Of course, we have entire industries whose entire purpose is to generate distraction, anxiety, insecurity, and an overall sense of scarcity and dissatisfaction.  After all, if I was satisfied, why would I buy anything?  "...eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food."  There are a delightful number of possible breathprayers in this passage: "Everyone who thirst... come to the waters;" "Come... buy and eat;" "delight yourselves... in rich food;"  "Come... delight yourselves;" "Come... eat what is good..."


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To let go of the distractions and focus on what is good, nourishing, satisfying.  I will walk; I will eat right; I will see delight; I will be grateful for enough.


"Holy One, help us to eat what is good and delight in rich food, the nourishment you offer."


Breathprayer: "Everyone who thirsts... come to the waters."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rev David. Just saw this great slideshow and wanted to share it with you and our church. Here's the link http://www.crosswalk.com/slideshows/15-myths-people-believe-about-their-pastor.html. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete