Search This Blog

Thursday 9 March 2017

"Be Glad... and Shout for Joy."

"I pray for the individuals under my pastoral care.  In particular, I pray for those feeling alienated, estranged, isolated and overwhelmed.  I pray that in this time of prayer, I may get some small glimpse of what is divine and that my actions, words and thoughts through out the day will be formed by that glimpse; that affirmation that we are not alone, that creation is great and good and that we participate in it, and that we have a purpose and capacity to contribute to that greatness and goodness.  I ask for humility, gentleness, patience, compassion, and empathy for all of us.  I ask that we abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement and shame."


Psalm 32:8-11
8 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;
   I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
9 Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
   whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle,
   else it will not stay near you.

10 Many are the torments of the wicked,
   but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.
11 Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous,
   and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.


1) "...my eye upon you;" "...do not be like a horse or mule;" "...steadfast love;" "...be glad;" "...rejoice;" "...shout for joy;"


2) I can hear the last verse being sung in response.  I appreciate the humour of verse 9... and the accuracy of the description.  I know I've been there, and I certainly see members of my community there.  Especially when I start talking about the importance of social media: eyes glaze over, heads fall onto tables, heavy sighs... its like asking a five year old to clean her room.  It is the temper of the horse or mule that is responsible for the distance that grows.  Resisting instruction is part of our nature.  We need instruction on not resisting instruction.  Verse 10 actually implies that resisting instruction leads to torment.  Can we trust the Lord?  will we?  Can we trust the people we put in place to help us hear what the Lord is saying?  Is it possible to instruct in a way that creates less resistant?


3) What is the invitation in all this? To trust when God is teaching me something new and not resist the lesson, but to be glad and rejoice that I'm being taught.


"Holy One, instruct us and curb us with bit and bridle if you must, just keep us near."


Breathprayer: "Be glad... and shout for joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment