Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 March 2017

"Surround me... with Glad Cries of Deliverance"

"I pray for my community of faith.  I pray that somewhere in these devotional moments captured in blog, my community will witness the glimpses of the divine that nourish and motivate me, that shape and form my way in the world.  I pray that we will discover that God's presence in our lives is often small and persistent, not necessarily grand and dramatic, but always transforming.  Make us humble, help us to connect with our sacred story that stretches back to the stories of ancient people, back to the first acts of creation, out to all the peoples of the nations, out to all the reaches of the cosmos and forward to a future of resurrection glory, forward to the end and purpose of all things.  May we find connection, meaning, purpose, and healing."


Psalm 32:5-7
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
   and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’,
   and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
          Selah

6 Therefore let all who are faithful
   offer prayer to you;
at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters
   shall not reach them.
7 You are a hiding-place for me;
   you preserve me from trouble;
   you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.


1) "...I acknowledged;" "...I did not hide;" "...you forgave;" "...the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them;" "...you preserve me;" "You surround me;" "...glad cries of deliverance;"


2) I find tremendous relief and peace in remember that God forgave, that God forgives.  And I'm aware that this isn't just forgiveness for a little thing that I've done or not done, but for a way that I have been, and a way that I am.  Because I am self centered, and arrogant.  I'm overly dramatic in ways that shame me.  I deceive myself in ways that harm me, and others. I could go on.  I am horribly, horribly human.  But I am also wonderfully, wonderfully human.  I help people make meaning in their lives.  I help people feel connected, needed and loved.  I inspire and bring hope.  All that is, good and bad, is in me.  And through Christ, I have an opportunity to bring the worst and exchange it for the best... on my good days.  And so I am surrounded with glad cries of deliverance.


3) What is the invitation in all this? To "confess," to continue to acknowledge and make space for the shadows that haunt and taunt me, to bring them to not hide my iniquity, but humbly bring it to Christ in prayer, and let God "surround me with glad cries of deliverance."


"Holy One, teach me humility and gladness."


Breathprayer: "Surround me... with Glad Cries of Deliverance"

No comments:

Post a Comment