Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 March 2017

"The Night Is Gone... the Day Is Near."

"I come to pray frustrated, angry and concerned this morning for the state of the world.  Today I feel the pain of 4.5 million people displaced, without home or even refuge.  I'm angry at a government here that pays lip service to welcoming those seeking refuge, but then does little to change its laws to make entering the country easier for those who are desperate.  I'm feeling for two of the three refugee families we are trying to sponsor, for whom the cue has stopped moving.  I feel for their families here who wait in desperation, losing hope.  I pray for clarity around what we can do, and need to do for these people.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion, gentleness, humility and kindness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, discouragement, compulsive behaviour, and shame.  I ask that we may know and follow Jesus more closely."


Romans 13:11-14
11 Besides this, you know what time it is, how it is now the moment for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers; 12the night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armour of light; 13let us live honourably as in the day, not in revelling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarrelling and jealousy. 14Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.


1) "...wake from sleep;" "...salvation is nearer... than when we became believers;" "...the night is far gone;" "...the day is near;" "...put on the armour of light;" "...put on the Lord Jesus Christ;" "


2) Regardless of what we perceive to be the outcome, we are to continue doing what we know is right, trusting that the day is near.  I'm struck by the unfortunate metaphor of flesh and its "desires."  It is clear in the context of the letter that Paul is speaking metaphorically, not of our physical bodies vs our spiritual souls.  They are one and the same to Paul, but he is speaking of the way of Adam and the way of Christ.  the way of ignoring God's path and the way of turning to face the target of God's purpose for us, even if we are inclined to miss that target (the literal meaning of the Hebrew word for 'sin').  What is it to trust that "salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers"?  Do we make less war?  Do fewer die of hunger? Are fewer the victims of violence and oppression?  I don't know.  Who's keeping score?  But I'm still called to put on the armour.  I'm still accountable to doing what is right, regardless of the outcome.


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To keep doing what I can and let go of what I can't do.  The serenity prayer comes to mind today: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  May we be wise enough to know and act when we can.


"Holy One, vest us in the armour of light when we most need it."


Breathprayer: "The night is gone... the day is near."

No comments:

Post a Comment