Search This Blog

Friday 24 March 2017

"Take, Eat... This Is My Body."

"I pray for the desire to pray and meditate for my community of faith.  I ask for patience, tolerance, compassion, empathy and gentleness.  I ask to abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and shame.  I ask to know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness and walking humbly."


Matthew 26:26-30
26 While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, ‘Take, eat; this is my body.’ 27Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you; 28for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.’
30 When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.


1)  "...gave it to them;" "...gave it to them;" "...drink from it;" "...poured out for many;" "...fruit of the vine;" "...while they were eating;" "...drink from it;" "...all of you;" "...blood of the covenant;"


2) "...my blood of the covenant;" is what seals the covenant, like a signature, only more binding, blood was the life force itself.  The wine reminds us just how binding this promise is.  How often do I stop to share a meal with Jesus?  How intentional am I in remembering the seal of the covenant in the meal?  How intentional am I in remembering the nourishment is a gift?  I say grace, I acknowledge presence, but so often my meals are really quite rushed. 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  At least one meal in the next day or so, to eat intentionally with Jesus.  To let the nourishment remind me of the binding promise that God provides, God has provided, and God will provide until the end of time.  Perhaps practicing the breathprayer throughout the meal with each breath.


"Holy One, in each meal, nourish us that we may seek justice, love kindness and walk humbly with you."


Breathprayer: "Take, eat... this is my body."

1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely idea. Instead of catching up on emails or listening to the news (my usual). To spend the whole meal quietly with Jesus would be so serene (as well as nourishing). I'll try it today. Thanks Rev David

    ReplyDelete