Search This Blog

Monday 27 March 2017

"My Cup Overflows... My Whole Life Long."

"I ask for the desire to pray and meditate on behalf of my community of faith.  May we learn patience, tolerance, empathy, compassion, and gentleness.  May we abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and shame.  May we know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness and walking humbly."


Psalm 23:5-6

5 You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
   my whole life long.


1) "...in the presence of my enemies;" "...all the days of my life;" "...my whole life long;"


2) It is quite something to know simultaneously being "in the presence of my enemies" and that "my cup overflows."  Usually, when dealing with someone I find hard to be around, all sense of the abundant table, the anointing oil and the overflowing cup, go flying out the window.  It takes effort in the presence of some people to remember that God is preparing a table before me, even as someone is yelling at me, either venting or truly being malicious - sometimes its impossible to tell the difference between someone venting and being malicious.  It takes a lot of trust to trust that God is preparing a table in those moments.  And discipline to remember, a discipline that sometimes (often?) escapes me.  Its easy to experience my cup overflowing while I'm sitting in the small hours of the morning on my balcony, listening to the birds and the rain, studying my planters for signs of spring (signs that are finally there), hearing the occasional seagull, seeing an eagle (I miss the coyote, there have been far too many rats lately!).  It is not so easy to remember I am in the house of the Lord when someone is yelling at me, or cutting me off in traffic, or driving too fast through a rain puddle while I'm on the sidewalk in my Sunday best getting soaked!


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To trust that I am surrounded by goodness and mercy, that I dwell in the house of the Lord, even when things are not going my way.  To continue to take time to truly experience the overflowing cup when it is easier, because that still nourishes me and prepares me for the day.


"Holy One, fill my cup."


Breathprayer: "My cup overflows... my whole life long."

No comments:

Post a Comment