Search This Blog

Sunday 12 March 2017

"The Lord... Who Made Heaven and Earth."

"I pray for the desire to pray and meditate.  I ask to discern for my community of faith.  Somewhere in this time, may I get a glimpse of something that nourishes me for the day ahead, something to inform our consciousness.  I ask for patience, tolerance, empathy, gentleness and compassion.  I ask that we abstain from anxiety, anger, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, and shame.  I ask that we come to know and follow Jesus more closely."


Psalm 121:1-4
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
   from where will my help come?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
   who made heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot be moved;
   he who keeps you will not slumber.
4 He who keeps Israel
   will neither slumber nor sleep.


1)  "...to the hills;" "...who made heaven and earth;" "...lift up my eyes;" "...who made heaven and earth;" "...I lift up my eyes to the hills"


2) I hear the words to the familiar hymn, "Unto the hills around do I lift up..."  It occurs to me that between weather and my work hours, I've spent very little time outside.  I feel I've had my eyes on the ground about a foot in front of me for months now, concentrating on the next step, and the next... and the next...  I've not been running in the morning for the weather; I've not been on my balcony, both because of the weather, but also because I've not had time to clean my balcony up after our "second winter," third?  And I'm not usually walking to work either because I just don't have time, or the weather is too nasty.  The few minutes I do get outside, I treasure.  I loved the walk to the restaurant with a friend the other night.  Trinity's focus is often so on our feet.  We are so busy.  So much to do and get done: meetings, events, fundraisers, socials, aid and service.  Yes we worship... and we worship well together, but that's more work for some of us. Even the fun stuff is more stuff on the schedule in a busy season.  Everything is too close, its is impossible to see the hills.


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To lift up my eyes.  To take some rest from one foot in front of the other long enough to breathe in some fresh air and remember "from where will my help come."


"Holy One, lift my eyes.  Remind me who made heaven and earth."


Breathprayer: "The Lord... who made heaven and earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment