Search This Blog

Sunday 26 March 2017

"Green Pastures... Still Waters."

"I ask for the desire to pray and meditate on behalf of my community of faith.  May we learn patience, tolerance, compassion, empathy and gentleness.  May we abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement, self-centeredness, and ignorance.  May we know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness and walking humbly.  This morning, I say an extra prayer for our musician and his wife who is in labour and expecting any time now.  May God continue to sneak up on and surprise all of us with challenge and joy."


Psalm 23:1-3
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2   He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
3   he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
   for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
   I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff—
   they comfort me.


1) "... I shall not want;" "...green pastures;" "...still waters;" "...restores my soul;" "...darkest valley;" "...comfort me;" "...lie down in green pastures;" "...restores my soul;" "...for his name's sake;" "...you are with me;" "...makes me lie down;" "...green pastures;"


2)  Looking for green pastures, what I see around me are muddy fields.  Months of unprecedented ice, snow and sanding have left us in a grey/brown hole as the rain comes down.  Plants that have usually spent their bloom by the end of March are still weeks away from blooming.  There is a hint of budding greenery on the riverbank.  Birds are singing.  Robbins flock the muddy patch beside the church looking for worms in the sod turned over by the raccoons looking for red beetles underneath.  Geese fly over head, the occasional eagle swoops low over the condos.  The green is slow in coming this year.  Some years are like that, the green is slow to come. 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To keep looking for the green.  Perhaps to help the green along.  I'll be heading to the greenhouse tomorrow.  Good timing.  Time to bring out the green.


"Holy One, lead us to green pastures, restore our souls."


Breathprayer: "Green pastures... still waters."

No comments:

Post a Comment