Search This Blog

Monday 13 March 2017

"Going out... and Coming in."

"I pray for Trinity United Church, and I pray for myself as their spiritual leader.  I ask for the desire to pray and meditate, especially when my heart is heavy and breaking.  May we have patience, tolerance, gentleness, compassion, empathy, and humility.  May we abstain from anger, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, discouragement and crippling shame.  May we know and follow Jesus more closely, seeking justice, loving kindness and walking humbly."


Psalm 121:5-8


5 The Lord is your keeper;
   the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
   nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord will keep you from all evil;
   he will keep your life.
8 The Lord will keep
   your going out and your coming in
   from this time on and for evermore.


1)  "...your keeper;" "...your shade;" "...from all evil;" "...for evermore;"


2)  I want to say, "The Lord is your keeper... except when he isn't; the Lord is your shade at your right hand... except when he isn't; he will keep you... except when he doesn't."  Some days.  Where were you when I thought it was a good idea to do this?  Where were you when I really needed to NOT act compulsively, but I did?  Where were you when compassion was being called of me, but I couldn't feel anything?  Where were you when I needed to be patient and gentle, but I was too frustrated?  "The Lord will keep you form all evil?"  Clearly, I receive and dish out my own share of evil.  And I don't think it's fair to say that it's for a lack of trying to stay close to God.  Are the claims of this psalm just too inflated?  Or do they make a promise that is still off into the future?  Like being promised I'll be a concert pianist, but I'm still studying the first few scales and strengthening my hands?  Even though my skill improves, the scales get harder. 


3) What is the invitation in all this?  To keep doing the scales and let go of the outcome.  To develop greater understanding when I encounter people who are struggling with the first few lessons because I know the skills take time to develop and it isn't easy... and I've been studying for years.  To trust that I am actually improving, even when I don't experience the improvement myself.


"Holy One, keep my going out and my coming in."


Breathprayer: "Going out... and coming in."

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Rev David. I guess we just need to keep playing those scales and to appreciate the lovely bits of music produced along the way. And at those times when our spirit is broken, when our fingers just will not move, we still have that music to bring us through until we can get right back to those scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Niki. I've found it a real delight to have you praying with me!

      Delete